7 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2425 posts

Edited Jul 16, 2024, 16:03
Re: Tallest round barrow in the UK?
Jul 16, 2024, 15:58
Not sure I agree with historic England tbh. Visited Several times, true it's at the top of a steepish in parts country lane hillock, but the land immediatedly around the 'tump' is fairly flatish for a coupla hundred meters all around. Would be great to get close up access, but think it's a small holding around the barrow, and I've never seen anyone there tbh. Also, there is a footpath that crosses the Southern edge of the enclosure boundary that gives fairl good views.

Crookbarrow can be viewed up close, or as a smeer as you whip around the M5 Junction for Worcester. It's a wierd one, if it wasn't for it being noted on the old OS maps, I'd have said it was motorway spoil, like another 'tump' further North towards the Clent Hills right alongside the M5 on the road to Bromsgrove.

Barrow Hill is also visible from Walton Hill which is part of The Clents (worth a visit, amazing views across the vale of Evesham, many intervisable hillforts dotted about, and some goodly up and down huffage t be had walking between the two hills). I'd say the barrow is easy nearly two stories high. Guess it could have been later adapted as a Saxon Law mound, though I've not seen any mention of that, so maybe not). The area was settled by the Hwicce during the Iron Age period, it's apparently where the local hillfort Wychbury Hill gets it's name from. (Another bit near Clents worth a visit, some well preserved ramparts for most of it's circumference, and an abundance of Yew trees inside.

Slight aside, apparently Clent is an Iron Age name, though no indication of it's meaning has been discovered.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index