Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Essence of TMAers
Sep 28, 2012, 11:50
goffik wrote:
CARL wrote:
Without doubt the prettiest island I have visited is Harris - not much there but the beaches are amazing!

I think I have to agree with you there. As much as I loved Orkney, we've been to the Outer Hebrides more often, and spent some fabulous days in/on Harris. I never really understood why Lewis and Harris were 2 islands in one till I went there. They really are such very different places! There's another sleeping figure in Harris, too. I have the details at home but don't remember them offhand. A very mysterious and strangely - yet attractively - barren place.

G x

We agree then that harris has the "essence" for it's beauty and lewis has the "essence" for it's monuments [with callanish way out in front], i think on harris it's the mix of the hills shining with quartz and looking very lunar mixed with those beautiful beaches, creating an otherworldly feel that makes the place so easy on the eye, both places certainly stay with you very strongly in your mind.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 11:59
bladup wrote:
goffik wrote:
CARL wrote:
Without doubt the prettiest island I have visited is Harris - not much there but the beaches are amazing!

I think I have to agree with you there. As much as I loved Orkney, we've been to the Outer Hebrides more often, and spent some fabulous days in/on Harris. I never really understood why Lewis and Harris were 2 islands in one till I went there. They really are such very different places! There's another sleeping figure in Harris, too. I have the details at home but don't remember them offhand. A very mysterious and strangely - yet attractively - barren place.

G x

We agree then that harris has the "essence" for it's beauty and lewis has the "essence" for it's monuments [with callanish way out in front], i think on harris it's the mix of the hills shining with quartz and looking very lunar mixed with those beautiful beaches, creating an otherworldly feel that makes the place so easy on the eye, both places certainly stay with you very strongly in your mind.

Harris is an incredible place. Scarista beach is stunning. It can look like some kind of tropical paradise on the right day.
Lewis has some decent beaches too.

Couldn't get a decent curry in Stornoway though. :)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 12:40
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:
goffik wrote:
CARL wrote:

G x

Harris is an incredible place. Scarista beach is stunning. It can look like some kind of tropical paradise on the right day.
Lewis has some decent beaches too.

It may be true that you couldn't get a decent anything in stornoway though [it's a bit rough isn't it?, and very very grey in the rain], and uists beaches are some of the best in the world as well [it's that gulf stream], parking the campervan on the edge of beaches on north uist and having the door wide open and letting the kids [and me] play on beaches with no one on them and swim in the clearest blue seas are great memories for me, some friends once saw the photos and honestly asked when we had been to the caribbean!!!, as they didn't know we had been there!, you should have seen there faces when we told them it was on a scottish island out at sea at nearly the top of scotland, the bloody midges later [ and earlier ] in the day stops scotland from just been a paradise though doesn't it?, their country may be beautiful but it's balanced with those bloody things [they are not good memories for me], they are there to annoy anyone who likes a sunrise or sunset, it's making me itch just thinking about them.
Mustard
1047 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 13:01
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

The curry I had on Stornoway wasn't bad for a monopoly on the edge of the world!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 13:13
Mustard wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

The curry I had on Stornoway wasn't bad for a monopoly on the edge of the world!

Ha! Mine was so bad I was forced to wash away the taste with some local beers and several cardhus.

Hell, as you can imagine.
Mustard
1047 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 13:58
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Ha! Mine was so bad I was forced to wash away the taste with some local beers and several cardhus.

Balti house, I presume? They weren't outstanding when I ate there (2010), but quite acceptable.

I do feel your pain though. Drinking all that whisky must have been hell ;)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 14:17
Mustard wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Balti house, I presume? They weren't outstanding when I ate there (2010), but quite acceptable.

I do feel your pain though. Drinking all that whisky must have been hell ;)

Maybe you were just very hungry, anything tastes better when your hungry.
CARL
511 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 14:23
When it comes to food and drink - move away from Stornoway and you can't get much of anything - good or bad!
Same goes for Uist and Harris!
Mustard
1047 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 14:31
CARL wrote:
When it comes to food and drink - move away from Stornoway and you can't get much of anything - good or bad!

Very true. I went self-catering.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 14:35
Mustard wrote:
CARL wrote:

Very true. I went self-catering.

Scarista House .
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index