Essence of TMAers

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6262 posts

Re: Essence of TMAers
Sep 23, 2012, 17:17
Yep, it's a great area. In fact if Bannau Sir Gaer was in a better state, it may have been the one I chose, but I went there with friends and with a car so it wasn't nearly as difficult to get to (we walked along the top of Y Mynydd Du's escarpment, from Waun Lefrith to Fan Hir - BSG was at the end of the walk, the others didn't bother with it!).

Cerrig has spent a lot of time in that area, checking alignments and there is much more there than is generally recorded I think. I'd like to the think the approach to Nant Tarw from the east follows an avenue, there are several stones, along the line of the stream (Nant Tarw is "Bull Brook").
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 23, 2012, 17:18
bladup wrote:
postman wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
bladup wrote:
You'll have to get yourself an irish list then, it's a lovely, lovely place

It's bad enough trying to cope with an England/Wales/Scotland list. If I ever get to Ireland, I'll have to think about it then!

Then a French list, A dutch list, Danish, Swedish, Portugese, where does it end.
It doesnt

Eh it ends at good old fashioned great british stone circles for me [i hope], so that bits easy for me, bloody french eggs aren't for me, although some of them lron age stone circles in sweden and denmark look nice, places like Blomsholm in sweden, they are known as judges rings, which is interesting.

Regarding Eire, we nicknamed it "2 Euro" land as if the landowner was about when you were visiting a site it was "2 Euro" to visit.

At Uragh the farmer popped up seemingly out of nowhere.
"Going up to the circle? 2 Euro"
"Would you like one of these postcards? 2 Euro"

Same experience at the Grange. Bloke pops up out of nowhere. "2 Euro lads".

Theres probably every chance they weren't even the landowners, but we handed over our "2 Euro" anyway. :)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 23, 2012, 17:48
Sep 23, 2012, 17:31
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:
postman wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
bladup wrote:
You'll have to get yourself an irish list then, it's a lovely, lovely place

It's bad enough trying to cope with an England/Wales/Scotland list. If I ever get to Ireland, I'll have to think about it then!

Then a French list, A dutch list, Danish, Swedish, Portugese, where does it end.
It doesnt

Eh it ends at good old fashioned great british stone circles for me [i hope], so that bits easy for me, bloody french eggs aren't for me, although some of them lron age stone circles in sweden and denmark look nice, places like Blomsholm in sweden, they are known as judges rings, which is interesting.

Regarding Eire, we nicknamed it "2 Euro" land as if the landowner was about when you were visiting a site it was "2 Euro" to visit.

At Uragh the farmer popped up seemingly out of nowhere.
"Going up to the circle? 2 Euro"
"Would you like one of these postcards? 2 Euro"

Same experience at the Grange. Bloke pops up out of nowhere. "2 Euro lads".

Theres probably every chance they weren't even the landowners, but we handed over our "2 Euro" anyway. :)

Ha ha, i won't put it past them, i could imagine irish gypsies [if they weren't all in england] sitting at the really visited sites and asking for money to visit them, i had heard about it at Shronebirrane, but not your ones and grange is well visited!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 23, 2012, 17:34
thesweetcheat wrote:
Yep, it's a great area. In fact if Bannau Sir Gaer was in a better state, it may have been the one I chose, but I went there with friends and with a car so it wasn't nearly as difficult to get to (we walked along the top of Y Mynydd Du's escarpment, from Waun Lefrith to Fan Hir - BSG was at the end of the walk, the others didn't bother with it!).

Cerrig has spent a lot of time in that area, checking alignments and there is much more there than is generally recorded I think. I'd like to the think the approach to Nant Tarw from the east follows an avenue, there are several stones, along the line of the stream (Nant Tarw is "Bull Brook").

I love all around that place, like i said tis a very good choice sir.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 23, 2012, 17:35
Just did another to prove i am trying with the quote thing!
postman
848 posts

Sep 23, 2012, 17:39
I can vouch for the Shronebirrane stone circle, 2 Euros, but there is no where to park other than right next to the ladies house.
The Gallarus Oratory was 2 Euros, but I thought he was asking if the kids were two year olds, I looked blankly and how much is it, Two year olds.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 23, 2012, 17:40
postman wrote:
I can vouch for the Shronebirrane stone circle, 2 Euros, but there is no where to park other than right next to the ladies house.
The Gallarus Oratory was 2 Euros, but I thought he was asking if the kids were two year olds, I looked blankly and how much is it, Two year olds.

Ha ha.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6262 posts

Sep 23, 2012, 18:15
Ha ha! Good stuff.
GLADMAN
964 posts

Sep 23, 2012, 23:10
Very difficult to say after a decade or so.... I'm discounting the high summit cairns since the summits do it for me anyway, cairned or not.

Strangely one site which (for me) has it all, is one visited only this week.... the moorland circle of Crugian Bach beneath Y Gamriw, near Rhayader. Difficult to find, not on any map and therefore almost certainly with solitude guaranteed. Great cairns surmount the skyline, red kites soar overhead. Bliss.
CARL
511 posts

Sep 24, 2012, 07:39
Dwarfie Stane on Hoy - fab, fab, fab...........
Perched high up on the hillside of a bleak moorland.
Although not difficult to reach from th eroad it's remote location on Hoy made this a very special place for me.
Otherwise, can anything really beat Avebury?
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index