Goblin - Four of a Kind

Incredible String Band - Hard Rope & Silken Twine

The Best of Blind Blake
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7728 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 August 2024 CE
Aug 25, 2024, 05:31
I bought the 3-disc deluxe edition of Dance Craze.

Best thing I've had in ages.

Fuck art. Let's dance.
flashbackcaruso
1087 posts

Edited Aug 25, 2024, 08:16
Aug 25, 2024, 08:15
The Doors - Morrison Hotel
The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
The Doors - Celebration Of The Lizard (soniclovenoize recreation)

The Beach Boys - Wild Honey
The Beach Boys - Friends
The Beach Boys - 20/20
The Beach Boys - Live In London

The Coral - The Invisible Invasion
The Coral - The Curse Of Love
The Coral - Roots & Echoes
The Coral - Mysteries & Rarities
The Coral - Singles Collection

The Kinks - Percy

Mike Oldfield - Incantations
Mike Oldfield - Platinum

Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley No.2
Elvis Presley - Loving You
Elvis Presley - King Creole
Elvis Presley - For LP Fans Only
Elvis Presley - A Date With Elvis
Elvis Presley - Elvis' Golden Records
Elvis Presley - 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong: Elvis' Gold Records, Volume 2

Beethoven - String Quartet Nos. 12-16 (Kodály Quartet)

The Incredible String Band - Earthspan
The Incredible String Band - No Ruinous Feud
The Incredible String Band - Hard Rope & Silken Twine

Lilys - Lilys
Lilys - Everything Wrong Is Imaginary

John Lennon - Walls & Bridges ("On the 23rd Aug. 1974 at 9 o'clock I saw a U.F.O." J.L.)

Jan & Dean - Save For A Rainy Day
Jan & Dean - Carnival Of Sound

The Apples In Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2641 posts

Aug 25, 2024, 10:03
Open the door:

Sonic Youth ‘Daydream Nation’ - perfect summertime rock & roll is all. As is

MC5 ‘High Time’ - like ‘Born In The USA’, this has been too easily taken for granted in the shadow of one of the greatest live albums ever. On its own terms, it’s a belter;

Syd Barrett ‘The Madcap Laughs’ and ‘Barrett’ - much as I love both of these records, they fill me with too much sadness when I play them. I can’t help feel that I’m intruding in their creator’s mental breakdown. Am I alone in this?

Led Zeppelin ‘Southampton 1973’ - great sounding soundboard boot fully deserving of an official release;

David Sylvian ‘Do You Know Me Now?’ - specifically Disc 4 which has some excellent Nine Horses remixes and other bits & bobs. Quite the man’s most accessible music of this century. God, that voice;

Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real S/T - if you like country rock but think you’ve heard it all before, check this out. It ain’t new (2016), but it’s fresh as a daisy. Lukas has inherited his dad’s chops;

Elton Dean, Steve Miller & Pip Pyle ‘Home Brewed’ - engrossing live session from 1976 that saw the light of day just a few years ago. More jazz than rock, but with ample invention from just three acoustic instruments. How tragic that all of these gifted players were to leave us before their time;

Urs Leimgruber ‘Reflexionen Live At Montreux 1987’ - Urs has been swimming in more abstract waters in recent years, so it’s good to be reminded of how lyrical his playing could be in earlier groups like OM and the excellent combo recorded here;

The Workers ‘Altburon’ - Urs is one quarter of this Swiss free jazz collective who released this online gem for just £1.49 a year or so back. Pretty much the polar opposite to easy listening, and worth every penny;

Stanley Cowell ‘No Illusions’ - Cowell’s studio swan song was up there with his best work. He remains too underrated a jazz pianist;

Beethoven: Violin Sonata no.9 ‘Kreutzer’ (Itzhak Perlman & Vladimir Ashkenazy) - I can’t imagine how this could be better performed. Sublime music and playing;

Debussy: Images (SFSO/Pierre Monteux) - incredibly vibrant sounding reading from what Van the Man would describe as “the days before rock and roll”;

Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.2 (Solomon/Philharmonia/Andre Cluytens) - poetry without histrionics was Solomon’s style, beautifully exemplified in this early Beethoven masterpiece;

Mozart: Symphonies 29 (LPO/Sir Thomas Beecham) - Tommy’s Mozart style is long outdated but who cares? The pleasure quotient more than compensates;

Bruckner: Symphony no.8 (VPO/Carlo Maria Giulini) - I don’t think a greater symphony was ever written than this, and this is one of very few readings that does its truly epic status justice;

Elgar: Pomp & Circumstance Marches (LSO/Sir Arthur Bliss) - much as I admire the likes of Boult and Barbirolli in this music, it’s great to hear it played straight and free of the cloying pomposity (no pun intended) that it’s usually associated with. Bliss played it refreshingly straight;

There’s more to life than you can think of.

Happy trails

Dave x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6262 posts

Edited Aug 25, 2024, 11:46
Aug 25, 2024, 11:43
Heyup Bank Holidayers,

Main replays this week:

Bo Diddley - Diddley Daddy (Disc 2: 1959-1961)
Marsheaux - Lumineux Noir
V/A - Flow (Make Mine Music compilation)

Otherwise:

Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
Simple Minds - Sparkle In The Rain
Laraaji/Roger Eno - Islands

Sonic Youth - Sugar Kane EP
The Creation - Creation CDS
PWEI - Dos Dedos Mis Amigos
Ride - Birdman EP
Ride - How Does It Feel To Feel? CDS
V/A - Trance Europe Express
V/A - Trance Europe Express 2
V/A - Trance Europe Express 3

Olafur Arnalds - Variations of Static

Gillian & Steven - Swing
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
334 posts

Aug 25, 2024, 12:48
The Who - A Quick One

The Who - Tommy

The Who - The Who Sell Out

Sparks - Propaganda

Queen - Queen II

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack

Judas Priest - British Steel

The Doors - Morrison Hotel

10cc - How Dare You

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

Robin Williamson - Myrrh
"Will We Open The Heavens" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTQVIH3mfKM

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

The Beatles - Revolver

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

Paavoharju - Yhä Hämärää
"Syvyys" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ks3NOekl8Q

David Bowie - Reality (2 disc edition)

Beck - Odelay

John Martyn - Solid Air

Neil Young - After The Gold Rush

Tunng - Mother's Daughter And Other Songs

Alasdair Roberts - The Amber Gatherers
Monganaut
Monganaut
2425 posts

Aug 25, 2024, 14:13
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Syd Barrett ‘The Madcap Laughs’ and ‘Barrett’ - much as I love both of these records, they fill me with too much sadness when I play them. I can’t help feel that I’m intruding in their creator’s mental breakdown. Am I alone in this?

No, I'm very much with you, ditto Nick Drake. Such wonderful songs, but they just leave me, well, as you stated, sad.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2425 posts

Edited Aug 25, 2024, 15:09
Aug 25, 2024, 15:08
How ya doin? I'm off on a short break tomorrow, so feeling kinda good!

Can - Future Days
I generally listen to most of my music through earphones when I'm out and about. Always floors me (literally) how much bass this recording has when played through a proper stereo system. Holger is soooooo low. Picked up a pre remaster edition recently, just for comparison (used to have an original tape years ago and remember it not being terrible). Difference between this and remaster is loudness/business. Original is a chill listen. Remaster is louder (not brickwalled, just made louder) and a busy mix. Lots of incedental noises have been brought forward and, if I'm honest, it's a more tiring listen. Deffo going back to Holgers mix from now on.

Julian Cope - Robin Hood/ Floored Genius II (Expanded Edition 2CD)
Some great versions on this one. Esp loving The Ballad of King Plank.
KP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZS2OUvtTT8

Coil - Musick To Play In The Dark (Vol:2 - Original 2000 c.e.)

The Folk Devils - Beautiful Monsters (Singles and Demos 84-86)
Esp Loving Evil Eye. https://folkdevils.bandcamp.com/track/beautiful-monster

John Lee Hooker - Burning Hell

Hawkwind - In Search Of Space
Played in anticipation of 'new' remastered/mixed edition coming imminently, kinda excited. It is one of my alltime fav records after all. May not stump for the rather expensive (£55!) 2CD/Blue Ray edition and just pick up the double vinyl (Rough Trade have a nice edition).

Theatre of Eternal Music - Dream House 78? 17?
Not heard this before, it's kinda nuts. Sounds like Copes Odin filtered through the vocal bits of Boredoms VCNS, though obvs, much before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCg_2pK1oM

Foetus - Thaw/ Nail
Thirwell always has an ear for a catchy tune and a great lyric. Prob my fav is Prayer For My Death. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj71ktW9HEw

Pigface - Gub
Solid Industrial rock. Passed me by on it's original release, probably cos' I was off munting in a field with some faeries or something.

TV Ghost - Mass Dream
Noisey post punky indie Ala early Pop.1280.
https://televisionghost.bandcamp.com/album/mass-dream

Pop. 1280 - The Horror
See above with an added dose of Shellac like geetar.
https://pop1280.bandcamp.com/album/the-horror

Rosie Tea - Night Creature
More Brum Broadcasty infused leftfield pop. Don't forget your limited edition 'eco' vinyl! https://rosietee.bandcamp.com/album/night-creature

Various Artists - Ambient Dub Vol.1 (The Big Chill 1992)
Chilled comp, perfect for the summer. Many of the artists on here came through Brums not legendary ambient club Oscillate. Great space, fun times! Ketemine Entity by Higher Intelligence Agency still a firm fav.
Full CD if it may float ya boat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIqnxex8pDQ

That's about it, keep well, see next week, same time, same channel!
flashbackcaruso
1087 posts

Aug 25, 2024, 18:52
Dog in fog wrote:
Queen - Queen II

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack

These two albums work so well played back to back, with the "I Do Like To Be The Seaside" fade-out of "Seven Seas Of Rye" the perfect cue for the insanely brilliant "Brighton Rock." It also helps that they are my two favourite Queen albums. I'm planning to take the kids to Brighton this week so what better excuse to crank these classics up by way of preparation?
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2454 posts

Aug 25, 2024, 20:46
Led Zeppelin - I and II

Love - Four Sail

Jeffrey Lewis - The last time I did acid I went insane and other stories - It's the ones that have cracked that the light shines through - 12 crass songs - Bad Wiring. That's all I got from the great man. Great mixture of being highly intelligent and very open and willing to be vulnerable for his art. Even checked out his live gig at Orlando this year on Youtube. Seen him myself a few times too.

Teeth of the Sea - Highly Dead Black Tarantula. Love theme for 1984 has stayed with me.

Techno Animal - Re-Entry. Wondered into the dance tent at Glastonbury many moons ago and thought they had an amazing sound. Alas not replicated on this album that much

The Teardrop Explodes - Culture Bunker 1978-82 - Everyone wants to Shag

Tapir! The Pilgrim, their God and The King of my Decrepit Mountain. Quite like the musicality of this. Think bands like Black Midi and Black Country New Road

Tangerine Dream - Zeit - Rubycon - Stratosfear - Force Majeure. Wasn't quite so keen on the latter but the rest'll do

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

Szun Waves - New Hymn to Freedom

Syd Arthur/Amorphous Androgynous -A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble

That'll do for now
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index