10 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9596 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 August 2024 CE
Aug 18, 2024, 21:34
Mamouna (3 cd Deluxe Re-issue) – Bryan Ferry
Mind Games (Ultimate Mixes 2 cd) – John Lennon
'Deluxe'. 'Ultimate'. They like throwing these words around nowadays, don't they! The altogether larger Mind Games set was out of my price range so I settled for the 2cd version. The original album isn't rated by everyone, but I always liked it a lot, probably third in line after the Plastic Ono Band and Imagine albums. Not everyone likes the latter-day Ferry solo albums and I was been less keen on the likes of Frantic though I haven't played it on a long time. Mamouna though is a corker, my fave BF solo set so I couldn't resist this. It includes the unreleased Horoscope album - though some numbers made it onto Mamouna, there are others that didn't. Perhaps most interestingly, it in includes a cover of an old Roxy classic. Now I know that a lot of early Roxy fans may not want to hear a post-Avalon Ferry crooning Mother Of Pearl, but there's no complaints here. The 3rd cd is entitled Sketches and includes a beautiful piano and vocals version of The Only Face.

Dubs Unlimited – The Breadwinners
Home-grown reggae from Stockport. Very good it is, too.

Cover Up - Ministry
Al Jourgenson et al attack Under My Thumb, Get It On, Radar Love, Black Betty, Roadhouse Blues amongst others. Subtle it isn't.

Vertigo Days: Live From Alien Research Centre – The Notwist
Fabulous live version of one of my favourite albums of recent years.

The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte – Sparks
The Sparks Facebook page posted footage of Brighton Gay Men's Chorus singing the title track of this album. Impressive – indeed I take my hat off to them because I reckon it could be easy to get confused singing that song. Anyway, I thought I'd have a listen to the album again and it didn't disappoint.

Also...

Refuge – Devendra Banhart & Noah Georgeson

Inland Delta – Biosphere

Mojo Presents: Classics. Rarities. Revelations – Depeche Mode

Waiting For The Sun – The Doors

Loneliness (CDS) – Pet Shop Boys

TheMenInBlack – The Stranglers

Suzan Galaxy – The Suzan

Interiors – Vacant Lots

Unsung Forum Index