Topic View: Flat | Threaded
garerama
garerama
1151 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 June 2024 CE
Jun 17, 2024, 22:37
Fitter Stoke wrote:
There’s a chill wind blowing in my soul and I think I’m growing old:

Pink Floyd ‘More’ & ‘Obscured By Clouds’ - Floyd’s film music is far less studio-bound and overproduced than their more celebrated work. There’s a directness and charm to these records that brings pure joy to the ears. ‘More’s’ ‘Main Theme’ and ‘Quicksilver’ are pure proto-kosmische music. Waters contributes some fine songs low on pontification. And innit great to hear Dave Gilmour rock out on both albums? (Vinyl junkies note: the current Pink Floyd label pressings are superb);

I love the soundtrack albums. Interestingly they bookended the post Barrett to Pre Dark Side era. At times "More" is my favourite Floyd album - the sum of the whole - just so pastoral and sunny. And "Obscured By Clouds" contains one of my favourite Floyd songs that you have quoted the lyrics from above. They really should give "Zabriskie Point" a proper release - there is enough good material to do a proper album (soniclovenoize recreated one online a few years back). I haven't seen any of the films - scared it would ruin the enjoyment of listening to the albums.

And yes I also agree with you about Da Capo, that is my go to Love album.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2642 posts

Jun 18, 2024, 18:39
garerama wrote:

I love the soundtrack albums. Interestingly they bookended the post Barrett to Pre Dark Side era.

You know, I’d never thought of them that way until I read your comment, which confirms both albums’ importance in the Pink Floyd canon. And yes, ‘More’ could well be my favourite of their records too.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8775 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2024, 19:22
Jun 18, 2024, 19:21
I think you've convinced me to try to get a copy of the Bridge of Sighs release! I thought about it but didn't bother at first.

Edit: have you heard the Twice Removed From Yesterday 50th?
MxSerendipityJones
9 posts

Jun 18, 2024, 20:11
reading a book on the history of SST Records ("Corporate Rock Sucks!") so doing a troll through ummm lots of SST releases...

I realize Dos (Kira Roessler & Mike Watt) *weren't* on SST but I'm LOVING their stuff at the moment! have listened to maybe 3 albums & all are gorgeous.

otherwise it's been early Meat Puppets, various phases of Black Flag, lots of Minutemen, some fIREHOSE (one of theirs was playing in a record store I was in last month but I haven't been able to figure out which record! absolutely transcendent jam to end the side), just starting to find my way into Bad Brains, etc etc etc.

had to take a break yesterday for Six Organs Of Admittance "Hexadic II" and today for Nona Hendryx "Female Trouble", plus been lots of REM in the car, mostly "Murmur".

:)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2426 posts

Jun 18, 2024, 20:41
Top sounds! Sure you've read it, but if not the book 'Our Band Could be your Life' by Michael Azerrad is a great read. Also the Legs Mcneil book Please Kill Me covering the early days of US punk is a blast, though the style takes a little getting into. Just finished the Chris Stein biog 'Under A Rock', which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. I don't really enjoy the anecdote style of writing, but it kinda worked in this book. Also never that bothered about an artists childhood, but to read about Brooklyn in the 50's was fascinating. Just started Parachute Women, about the influence on Pallenburg and Failthfull on the Stoned bad boy image. It's good stuff.

Think my fav Firehose album is the one with Brave Captain on. Loved the Nirvana covers of Meat Puppets, but the band never really gelled with me besides trying and trying.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2642 posts

Jun 19, 2024, 14:55
No, but I’m very tempted to buy it. Never rated it quite as high as Bridge but given how good that now sounds, I might strike while it’s still available.
MxSerendipityJones
9 posts

Jun 27, 2024, 13:57
I *have* read "Our Band..."! Skimming around it for 2nd time currently (it was lost in a box over several moves over a decade & just finally turned up in a bout of straightening).

"Please Kill Me" is amazing, I remember getting VERY lost in it when I read it in 2006 or so?

Don't think I've read "Under A Rock" tho I'm skimming through Debbie Harry's "Face It" right now.

"Parachute Women" was inspiring. Hope you're enjoying it!

I'm still checking out fIREHOSE albums — & still not sure which one I heard but really it's an excuse to dip into them all :) Similar reaction to Meat Puppets, tho I'm hearing them just a little better right now than other times I've tried? The "guitar solo" on track 1 of Meat Puppets 2 is wild.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index