Having a picnic on top of an ancient monument

17 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1047 posts

Re: Having a picnic on top of an ancient monument
Jun 15, 2024, 13:08
tjj wrote:
Yesterday, walked from Uffington to Wayland's Smithy. Was very disappointed to find a group of adults sitting on top of the monument having a picnic, completely oblivious to any one wanting to take a closer look or even a photograph. I'm afraid I didn't have the courage to say anything to them but felt this behaviour to be selfish and disrespectful. How do people here respond to this, I wonder. Or am I just being a grumpy killjoy.

Yes, you're being a grumpy killjoy. And I say that as a grumpy killjoy who gets really annoyed at finding other people hanging round monuments - especially when I want to photograph them.

What you're saying here is that you want to prioritise your way of enjoying the monument over their way of enjoying the monument. Nobody has a right to do that. They have as much right to be there enjoying the monument in their own way as you or I have. There's no rule, written or unwritten, that says people should move along quickly leaving the place clear for photographs and for people who prefer tranquillity.

I say all this with the greatest sympathy. Cyclists turned up when I was at Wayland's earlier this year and I was infuriated and wanted to do unpleasant things to them. But I have to recognise that this is my problem and not theirs, so I waited patiently for 15 mins until I could get clear photographs. And if they'd stayed longer, I'd have been really frustrated, but.... still my problem and not theirs. Maybe some people get wound up by photographers prowling round taking photos and making them feel unwelcome and awkward?

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index