Pink Floyd - More (film sequence)

Quicksilver Messenger Service - st

The Yardbirds - Little Games

John Coltrane - The Last Trane

Canned Heat - Canned Heat / Boogie With Canned Heat

Uncanned! The Best of Canned Heat

Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

Christine and the Queens - Paranoia, Angels, True Love (Highlights)

Barbecue Bob - Chocolate to the Bone

V.A. - Roots of Rock

V.A. - Back to the Crossroads: The Roots of Robert Johnson

V.A. - St. Louis Town 1929-1933

V.A. - Jackson Blues 1928-1938
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2641 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 September 2024 CE
Sep 15, 2024, 10:21
You can watch rafferty turn into a serial:

David Gilmour ‘Luck and Strange’ - I enjoyed this a lot more than I did the last three albums bearing the Pink Floyd name. Freed from such shackles, there’s more humanity in the old dude’s music and - whisper it - better TUNES. Gotta mention the 14 minute bonus jam that forms the basis of the title track: a reminder of how cool a keyboard player Rick Wright was;

Mink Deville ‘Cabretta’ - ‘Spanish Stroll’ aside, I never realised the true quality of Willy’s debut until much later. Sorta low grade Van Morrison on steroids, but I don’t mean that as a negative. Gagging for a reissue, this;

Big Big Train ‘The Likes Of Us’ - everything I’ve heard from this ever-changing band sounds like it could have been recorded fifty years ago, yet still sounds fresh and new. Had all English prog rock been this sheerly tuneful I doubt it’d ever have been so uncool. As it stands, it’s state of the art intelligent rock music. Going to see them in concert next week;

Catherine Wheel ‘Ferment’ - listening to this thirty year old record, I’m not sure that music has moved significantly further since. Someone please convince me otherwise;

Nikki Sudden ‘The Truth Doesn’t Matter’ - the 2021 revision of Nikki’s last album is the version to own, the instruments in better balance and the man’s beautifully limited vocal dead centre in the mix. And he never wrote a finer song than ‘Green Shield Stamps’. Brings a tear to my eye, it does;

Blur ‘The Ballad Of Darren’ - this has grown on me this last year, it truly has. Made me want to look back to my fave Blur effort, which is:

Blur ‘Modern Life Is Rubbish’ - separated at birth: ‘Colin Zeal’ verse melody and ‘Sleeping Gas’ whole melody? Discuss;

The Teardrop Explodes ‘Kilimanjaro’ - well, after a prompter like the above, I just had to… didn’t I? Not a wasted second throughout;

Jim Capaldi ‘Fierce Heart’ & ‘One Man Mission’ - dated 1980s production notwithstanding, there are some good songs on these records. Jim had a decent voice and a fab way with words;

Kiss ‘Hotter Than Hell’ - American dumb rock at its worst or, depending on your perspective, best. Got to choose, indeed. I know which side of the fence I’m on;

Jimi Hendrix Experience ‘Axis: Bold As Love’ - well, what’s the point of words when the music says everything;

Derek and the Dominos ‘Layla’ - like most double albums, take away the filler and there’s a killer single one in hiding. And I don’t think Clapton ever wrote a better song than ‘I Looked Away’, the 45 that never was;

OM ‘Kirikuki’ - the Swiss quartet’s first LP from 1976 is one helluva opening salvo. Each member’s ability to sound as if they’re constantly soloing while maintaining a group perspective amazes me. High time this had a CD release;

Miles Davis ‘In Europe’ - always my fave Miles live LP, soon to be given the expanded box set treatment in Columbia’s Bootleg Series. I can’t wait;

Globe Unity ‘Improvisations’ - free form big band session that soothes and grates in unequal measure. That third track is guaranteed to scatter any party;

Robin Kenyatta ‘Girl From Martinique’ - early ECM outing of interest to Wolfgang Dauner fans like me, not least because he has at least as much to say as the impressive Kenyatta;

Art Lande & Jan Garbarek ‘Red Lanta’ - gentle paeans for piano and reeds, beautifully rendered;

Ralph Towner & Glen Moore ‘Trios Solos’ - Oregon offshoot with all the instrumental imagination of that band paired down to its bare essentials. A semi-forgotten jazz gem;

Bach: Violin Sonatas & Partitas (Yehudi Menuhin) - talking about bare essentials, they don’t come barer or more essential than this. How anyone can play such complex, multi voiced music on one small acoustic instrument is beyond me;

Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.1 (Rudolf Serkin/Philadelphia/Eugene Ormandy) - unusual cadenzas aside, this is a faithful rendition of a fine concerto;

Dvorak: Carnival Overture (Philadelphia/Ormandy) - riotously fast and exciting;

Mozart: Symphony no.40 (LPO/Sir Thomas Beecham) - Beecham’s pre-war recordings have a drive largely missing from his more elegant RPO years. His unique musical charm is common to both eras, however: just listen to this;

Bruckner: Symphony no.9 (BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - Jeez. There are moments in this 1966 recording that are intense beyond belief. All those critics trotting out that tired cliche of Karajan “beautifying” the music need exposure to this simply phenomenal record;

Brahms: Double Concerto (Mutter/Meneses/BPO/Karajan) - I was saddened to read of Antonio Meneses’ passing. His exemplary cello technique shone on this record;

Bach: Organ Works (Bernard Foccroulle) - I’ve recently acquired Foccroulle’s big box of Bach’s complete surviving organ works and, dipping in at random, have no complaints about pacing, emphasis or choice of registration. Played like this, Bach’s organ music ticks all my boxes and so far, I’m purring.

It’s just like a cartoon by AAP.

Love and kisses

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1087 posts

Sep 15, 2024, 10:45
Elvis Presley - You'll Never Walk Alone
Elvis Presley - Sings Flaming Star
Elvis Presley - Let's Be Friends
Elvis Presley - Almost In Love
Elvis Presley - 1968 Comeback Special

The Beach Boys - Today

The Kinks - Lola Vs Powerman & The Moneygoround
The Kinks - BBC Sessions 1964-1974

Pet Shop Boys - Please
Pet Shop Boys - Actually

Bobbie Gentry - Touch 'Em With Love
Bobbie Gentry - Fancy
Bobbie Gentry - Patchwork
Bobbie Gentry - Thunder In The Afternoon

The Turtles - It Ain't Me Babe
The Turtles - You Baby/Let Me Be
The Turtles - Wooden Head
The Turtles - Happy Together

Brian Wilson - Brian Wilson
Brian Wilson - Sweet Insanity
Brian Wilson - Slightly American Music
Brian Wilson - I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Brian Wilson & Van Dyke Parks - Orange Crate Art

The Fiery Furnaces - Widow City
The Fiery Furnaces - Remember
The Fiery Furnaces - I'm Going Away

Michael Nesmith - The Wichita Train Whistle Sings
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Magnetic South
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Loose Salute
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Nevada Fighter

XTC - English Settlement

The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones - 12x5
The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones No.2

The Coral - Coral Island
The Coral - Sea Of Mirros
The Coral - Holy Joe's Coral Island Medicine Show

Lambchop - I Hope You're Sitting Down
Lambchop - How I Quit Smoking
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1720 posts

Sep 15, 2024, 15:17
The Thirteenth Floor Elevators- Easter Everywhere
The Bevis Frond- We're Your Friends Man
Cave- Hunt Like Devil / Jamz
Royal Trux- Untitled
Five Day Rain- S/T
Cheap Trick- At Budokan
Taste- Special

Lee Hazelwood & Nancy Sinatra- Nancy And Lee
Glenn Campbell and Jimmy Webb- Reunion
Enoch Light & The Light Brigade- Discotheque Vol 2

Eliza Skelton- The Lookerer
John Renbourn- S/T
Nick Drake- Time of No Reply
Nick Drake- I Was Made To Love Magic

Can- Delay 1968
Klaus Schulze- Cyborg
Edgar Froese- Aqua
Edgar Froese- Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
Sirom- A Universe That Roasts Blossoms for a Horse

PP Arnold- Live in Liverpool
The James Taylor Quartet- Hung Up on You
Black Doldrums- In Limerence
Dream Phases- Phantom Idol

Beyond The Valley of the Dolls OST
Bedazzled OST
V/A- Indie Top 20 Vol 18
V/A- Listen Here: A Transatlantic Sampler
V/A- Lou Reed at pickwick Records 1964-65
garerama
garerama
1150 posts

Sep 15, 2024, 20:21
Associates - Affectionate Punch / Fourth Drawer Dawn / Sulk / Singles

The Beatles - Get Back (Original Elekra Acetate) / Abbey Road (50th mix) / Sessions 1962-1969

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside / Lionheart / Never For Ever / The Whole Story

Julian Cope (& related) - An Audience With The Cope / Love, Peace & Fuck (Brain Donor) / You Gotta Problem With Me / Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse 2 (Black Sheep)

Dead Can Dance - S/t / Garden Of Arcane Delights / Spleen & Ideal / Wake

Jon Hopkins - Music For Psychedelic Therapy / Ritual

Pink Floyd - Transmission 1967 / Transmission 1968

The Residents - Ralph Records' 1977 Radio Special / God In Three Persons (album & instrumental) / Our Tired, Our Poor, Our Huddled Masses

The Ruts - Something That I Said: The Best Of ... / The Peel Sessions Album

Patti Smith - Live At The Bottom Line 1975 / Land

Throbbing Gristle - Live December 2004: A Souvenir Of Camber Sands / The Third Mind Movements / The Taste Of TG

The United States Of America - S/t

Tom Waits - Asylum Years / Swordfishtrombones / Rain Dogs / Frank's Wild Years

Frank Zappa/ Mothers - Mothermania / FZ & The Mothers Of Invention (Verve comp) / Hot Rats / Chunga's Revenge
Monganaut
Monganaut
2425 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2024, 20:41
Sep 15, 2024, 20:40
Hey Up!

The Soundcarriers - Through Other Reflections
Best release by this band I'd say. Seems I own Celeste and Harmonium too. (had forgotten I had em' tbh). Some of the lady vocals have taken on more than a Trish vibe, but I can forgive em' fer that.

Virginia Wing - Measures Of Joy
Another 'best release'. They seemed to have shot their bolt early with this bunch of Broadcastian overtures. Stuff since has been diminishing returns really.

Elevate - The Architect/ Interior EP
One time Camden scene math rockers from the mid 90's. Good stuff, pity they didn't hang about longer.

Killing Joke - In Dub Rewind Vol:1 2CD
Some solid versions on this remix comp. There's a Vol:2 as well, though not heard that yet.

Beck - Guero

Goat - World Music
Never tire of this record.

Luke Haines - New York in the 70's

Hawkwind - Doremi Farsol Latido/ In Search Of Space/ Parallel Universe Comp

Cope - Jehovakill (Deluxe)/ Followers of St Julian
Christ parts of this remaster sound rough, Fa Fa Fa Fine intro guitars are just......feck. Here's hoping we get a decent update one day, not that there's anything wrong with the original mix mind.

Simple Minds - Reel To Real Cacophony

Dame Area - Various Bandcamp streams
Decent industrial inflected EDM from Spanish/Italian duo. Think Sweetcheat may enjoy some of their stuff (and other stuff on the associated label) as we seem to share similar electronic music tastes. Great little KEXP set too.
KEXP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AI1L5AqjvI
https://damearea.bandcamp.com/album/kess11-yo-quiero-yo-puedo
https://damearea.bandcamp.com/album/esto-me-pertenece
Other groovy bands on Spanish label https://bferecords.bandcamp.com/merch

Foetus Inc - Sink
Comp of singles and EP's from late 80's. 'Diabolus In Musica' is deffo one of my fav Foetues releases. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8B0XwgmZco

Had a tune in to various Quietus recommended newbies. Fat Dog sund like a joyless Fat White band, and Tristwch Y Fenywod sound like a lot of new wyrd folk stuff from the early 2000's, but not as interesting or experimental (I'm thinking In Gowan Ring, Fursaxa, Espers etc...)

Anyhoo, that's about all I can remember. Have a better one! x
keith a
9596 posts

Sep 15, 2024, 21:36
Zuma 85 – Allah-Las

Wild God – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

They Carried The Dead In A UFO – Cult Of Dom Keller

Twists (A Visitor Arrives) - Kreidler

Psych Fuck – Singapore Sling

Children Of God / Feel Good Now – Swans

Closure – Vacant Lots