2407 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 August 2024 CE
Aug 18, 2024, 04:29
The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man (mono)

Deep Purple - The Book of Taliesyn

Deep Purple - st

Deep Purple - Machine Head

Kiss - Early Studio Demos, March-October 1973

Alain Goraguer – La Planète Sauvage (Expanded Original Soundtrack)

The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord - bonus tracks

Goblin - La Via Della Droga

Ennio Morricone - Il Gatto

Prince - 1999

Saeul Kayagum Trio - Korean Traditional Music Vol. XV
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2641 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2024, 09:02
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 August 2024 CE
Aug 18, 2024, 09:14
I’m gonna sit right down and write myself a letter…

Caravan ‘The Album’ - as unprog as this band ever got, but as perfect a sunny pop/rock record as I could imagine. Not my favourite Caravan LP but my, it’s up there;

Dream Theater ‘Images and Words’ - I find much of Dream Theater’s early work like this a bit meh, but when it’s good (‘Metropolis Part 1’, ‘Learning To Live’) it’s effing marvellous;

Robin Trower ‘Bridge of Sighs’ (2024 remix) - not just a remix, but in some cases different and extended takes that actually improve on the superb 1974 original release. This sounds like a brand new album and man, does it rock;

Barclay James Harvest ‘Everyone Is Everybody Else’ - another fine 1974 LP, heard in its original form and sounding beautifully maudlin as only BJH could be;

Brian Eno ‘Discreet Music’ - the first of Eno’s ambient compositions remains my favourite, even though I love pretty much everything he’s since created. Played as intended at the lowest level of volume, its simplicity and beauty is obvious;

Shakin’ Stevens ‘Shaky’ - ok, have a laff - but I tell you, this is serious R&B (in the traditional sense of that term) played and sung with spirit and feel. The legend that was Mickey Gee plays like a dream on the mother, feegawdsakes - alongside great sidemen like Geraint Watkins and B.J. Cole. Slight and ignore all you like, here lives prime rock & roll;

UFO ‘Force It’ - hard as owt in 1975 and still packing a punch half a century later when hard rock isn’t anything like as tuneful;

Tom Verlaine ‘Dreamtime’ - Verlaine’s solo work is right up there with Television IMHO. His tense guitar work and appealingly strained vocals never rung truer than on this underrated sophomore effort;

U2 ‘Rattle and Hum’ (one song only: ‘Bullet The Blue Sky’) - for me, there is no more disappointing band in the world than U2 because they can - in a mere handful of songs - make my sap rise like few others, yet otherwise bore me senseless. This is from that handful. That guitar just floors me;

Linda Thompson ‘Proxy Music’ - poor Linda has to have others singing her songs these days, but they do her proud here, especially John Grant, her family members, and The Proclaimers. This is a moving, amusing and thoroughly enjoyable forty minutes. And what a sleeve;

Terje Rypdal ‘Whenever I Seem To Be Far Away’ - space jazz with just enough rock edge to excite. Sounds like Harry James one minute and King Crimson the next;

Wayne Shorter ‘Etcetera’ and ‘Adam’s Apple’ - it’s clear from Wayne’s Sixties albums how much he was assimilating from his time in Miles Davis’ Quintet. These are two of the best. Herbie Hancock adds his patent sound to the connection here;

Sibelius: Symphony no.3 (VPO/Lorin Maazel) - perfunctory reading of Sibelius’ first truly characteristic symphony, rescued by the Vienna Phil’s superlative musicianship;

Beethoven: Symphony no.3 (VPO/Leonard Bernstein) - not as muscular as his earlier NYPO version, but more considered, better recorded and equally satisfying;

Mahler: Symphony no.4 (Philharmonia/Otto Klemperer) - Klemperer the self-described “immoralist” in evidence here, in as unromantic a rendering of Mahler’s most loving symphony as can be imagined. And yet… it works…

Stravinsky: Pulcinella Suite (Philharmonia/Otto Klemperer) - …as does this. Maybe such literal music was more Otto’s dab, but he brings out its humour too;

Strauss: Daphne (BRSO/Bernard Haitink) - my exploration of Strauss’ operas continues with this relatively late one. The lovely Lucia Popp handles the difficult title role with her much missed colorato on top form. The story is a weird one but the music is fabulous.

Outside it’s America.

Have a great week

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1150 posts

Aug 18, 2024, 09:20
Ash Ra Tempel - S/t / Join Inn

David Bowie - Black Tie White Noise / The Buddha Of Suburbia / 1. Outside

Harold Budd & Brian Eno - Ambient 2: The Plateaux Of Mirror / The Pearl

Brainticket - Cottonwoodhill / Psychonaut / Celestial Ocean

Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth / Fried

Einsturzende Neubauten - 80-83 Strategies Against Architecture / Funf Auf DerNach Oben Offenen

Brian Eno - Evening Star (with Fripp) / Music For Films / Ambient 1: Music For Airports

Edgar Froese - Aqua

Gong - Camembert Electrique / Continental Circus / Live Etc

The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter / Changing Horses / Be Glad For The Song Has No Ending

The Kinks - The Kink Kontroversy / Face To Face / Something Else By The Kinks

Nurse With Wound - Brained By Falling Masonry / Cooloorta Moon

Hazel O'Connor - Breaking Glass OST

Michele (O'Malley) - Saturn Rings

The Rezillos - Can't Stand The Rezillos / Mission Accomplished ... But The Beat Goes On

The Smiths - S/t / Strangeways, Here We Come / Louder Than Bombs

Talking Heads - Fear Of Music / Remain In Light
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6262 posts

Aug 18, 2024, 11:53
Howdy pardners,

Main repeats this week:

Muddy Waters - Natural Born Lover: The Singles 1953-1960 [Disc 2, 1957-1960]
V/A - We Are Reasonable People (Warp compilation)
Glen Johnson - Details Not Recorded

Otherwise:

V/A - The Roots Of Rockabilly 1940-1953
V/A - The Birth of Rock'n'Roll

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Kaleidoscope
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Juju

Urthona - Super-Heavy Hamoazian Reverie
Kristin Hersh - Wyatt At The Coyote Palace
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Wire - Nocturnal Koreans
The Cure - Torn Down
Tallies - Tallies

Robin Guthrie - Springtime EP
Robin Guthrie - Atlas EP
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxymoreworks
Pet Shop Boys - A New Bohemia CDS
Polyphores - The Album We Would Have Released In An Alternate Universe
Primitive Percussion Youth Orchestra - PPYO
Shropshire Number Stations - Recordings Of Covert Short Wave Radio Stations
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
334 posts

Aug 18, 2024, 13:46
Queen - 'Queen'

David Bowie - 'Hours...' The notes below this studio footage video are worth a read:
'What's Really Happening' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui5SUoaaWtc

Kate Bush - 'The Sensual World'

Kate Bush - '50 Words For Snow'

Orion Rigel Dommisse - 'What I Want From You Is Sweet'

Paul Roland & The Hellfire Club - 'A Cabinet Of Curiosities'

Beck - 'Modern Guilt'

Hawkwind - 'Alien 4'

The Who - 'The Who Sell Out'

Sparks - 'Hello Young Lovers'
'The Very Next Fight' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6fA7zzrY8

Bert Jansch - The Black Swan

Julie Fowlis - Cuilidh

Brenda Wootton - various YT studio and live tracks featuring the lovely Cornish folk singer, inc. 'Delyo Syvy' (with Robert Bartlett) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5oSOfAelO8

Led Zeppelin live on Danish TV 1969
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-WSbMW7BPc&t=1229s

Led Zeppelin live at Bath Festival 1970, various inc. 'Dazed And Confused'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yYJF0clN44
Monganaut
Monganaut
2425 posts

Edited Aug 18, 2024, 18:34
Aug 18, 2024, 13:59
Wasup! This week has mostly been...

Beck - Mellow Gold/Odelay/Guero/The Information/Seachanges/Mutations
Realised I'd been neglecting the pop genius of Mr Hanson, and fell in love all over again. Esp. the Information album, what a killer! Not such a fan of Modern Guilt and beyond though, somehow seems to have lost his muse.

Rolling Stones - Beggars/Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers/London Years Singles
Dunno why, but they classic 3 have been doing it big time for me these last few weeks, and it's good to hear some of those great earlier singles too.
First heard BB/Let it Bleed on a cassette an old work mate did for me sayin' I might like em'. I was quite dismissive at the time (not to his face), but he was right, deffo got under my skin (same thing happened with Hawkwind - X In Search Of Space).

Circle - Raunio (live)/ Alotus
My two fav Circle albums. Probably showcasing their more post rock sides. Alotus is a beautifully understated collection of atmospheres. Was the only one released on Faust's Klangbad label. Bought Raunio from Cope when he was having a clear out several years back along with another coupla Cirlce CD's I didn't have. I already had a copy of Raunio, but the later version Cope had has a extra track.
edit. you can listen to Alotus here should it sund like it may float yer boat.
https://www.discogs.com/release/2388545-Circle-Alotus

Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Apparently a whole bunch of CD's from this period were mastered in the now defunct HDCD format, the above recrd being one. (5000+ I read were mastered this way when microsoft bought the rights). Though unless you have equipment that can decode you'll never know, cos the logo didn't appear on the packaging or discs (great marketing there!). Some of the Beck ones mentioned above are mastered that way too apparently. If you still have a decentish DVD player from the early 2000's, chances are you'll have the decoder built in but you need an amp that decodes too, so maybe still won't benefit from uptick in bitrate. Was gonna be the rival of SACD and DVDr at the time, but like Betamax and Video 2000 went the way of the Dodo. Amazing what you find out 20 years after the fact!

Can - Live Uncut freebie.
On the strength of this comp I bougt the Can Aston show, and it's a belter!

Tim 'Love'Lee - The Continuing Confessions of....

Bauhaus - Bela 12"

Keep well all! x
flashbackcaruso
1087 posts

Aug 18, 2024, 14:56
Simon & Garfunkel - Wednesday Morning 3AM
Simon & Garfunkel - Sounds Of Silence
Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme
Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends

The Coral - Magic & Medicine
The Coral - Nightfreak & The Sons Of Becker

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die

The Beach Boys - Smile (AI-enhanced stereo mix)
The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile
The Beach Boys - Wild Honey

The Heavy Blinkers - The Heavy Blinkers

Belle & Sebastian - Fold Your Hands Child You Walk Like A Peasant

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day

Paul Giovanni/Magnet - The Wicker Man (Trunk Records)

Paddy Kingsland - The Changes

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn

Elvis Presley - Sun Singles

The Incredible String Band - Liquid Acrobat As Regards The Air

Jan & Dean - Filet Of Soul
Jan & Dean - Popsicle

The Fiery Furnaces - Rehearsing My Choir
flashbackcaruso
1087 posts

Aug 18, 2024, 20:37
Dog in fog wrote:

Brenda Wootton - various YT studio and live tracks featuring the lovely Cornish folk singer, inc. 'Delyo Syvy' (with Robert Bartlett) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5oSOfAelO8

I have just one Brenda Wootton LP which I obtained from a Freecycler who was giving away a pile of folk vinyl, and among the songs about Cornish pasties and such-like was this absolute gem:

https://youtu.be/GBq6Jao5tLo?si=-AOv1afeZfpF7T03

Simply gorgeous.
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
334 posts

Edited Aug 18, 2024, 21:33
Aug 18, 2024, 21:32
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Dog in fog wrote:

I have just one Brenda Wootton LP which I obtained from a Freecycler who was giving away a pile of folk vinyl, and among the songs about Cornish pasties and such-like was this absolute gem:

https://youtu.be/GBq6Jao5tLo?si=-AOv1afeZfpF7T03

Simply gorgeous.

Thanks, that's very beautiful and I hadn't come across that one. I've been playing Brenda's music via YT for a few years now, but have no physical copies of anything. One of my favourite songs is her version of 'Clegh'. Here are both live and studio versions:
Live, 1973 (comes in around 8 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhggLHdb2SM
Studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h66mM0CLlSo
keith a
9596 posts

Aug 18, 2024, 21:34
Mamouna (3 cd Deluxe Re-issue) – Bryan Ferry
Mind Games (Ultimate Mixes 2 cd) – John Lennon
'Deluxe'. 'Ultimate'. They like throwing these words around nowadays, don't they! The altogether larger Mind Games set was out of my price range so I settled for the 2cd version. The original album isn't rated by everyone, but I always liked it a lot, probably third in line after the Plastic Ono Band and Imagine albums. Not everyone likes the latter-day Ferry solo albums and I was been less keen on the likes of Frantic though I haven't played it on a long time. Mamouna though is a corker, my fave BF solo set so I couldn't resist this. It includes the unreleased Horoscope album - though some numbers made it onto Mamouna, there are others that didn't. Perhaps most interestingly, it in includes a cover of an old Roxy classic. Now I know that a lot of early Roxy fans may not want to hear a post-Avalon Ferry crooning Mother Of Pearl, but there's no complaints here. The 3rd cd is entitled Sketches and includes a beautiful piano and vocals version of The Only Face.

Dubs Unlimited – The Breadwinners
Home-grown reggae from Stockport. Very good it is, too.

Cover Up - Ministry
Al Jourgenson et al attack Under My Thumb, Get It On, Radar Love, Black Betty, Roadhouse Blues amongst others. Subtle it isn't.

Vertigo Days: Live From Alien Research Centre – The Notwist
Fabulous live version of one of my favourite albums of recent years.

The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte – Sparks
The Sparks Facebook page posted footage of Brighton Gay Men's Chorus singing the title track of this album. Impressive – indeed I take my hat off to them because I reckon it could be easy to get confused singing that song. Anyway, I thought I'd have a listen to the album again and it didn't disappoint.

Also...

Refuge – Devendra Banhart & Noah Georgeson

Inland Delta – Biosphere

Mojo Presents: Classics. Rarities. Revelations – Depeche Mode

Waiting For The Sun – The Doors

Loneliness (CDS) – Pet Shop Boys

TheMenInBlack – The Stranglers

Suzan Galaxy – The Suzan

Interiors – Vacant Lots
Unsung Forum Index