Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 August 2024 CE

12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1720 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 August 2024 CE
Aug 11, 2024, 17:48
Jack Frost- S/T. 1990 collaboration between The GoBetweens' Grant McLennan and The Church's Steve Kilbey that still holds up.

Dead Raven Choir- My Firstborn Will Surely Be Blind. Heavy Polish doom-folk including covers of Fairport and Townes Van Zandt. A bit trying once the novelty wears off actually.

Al Stewart- Past, Present And Future: 50th Anniversary Edition. Got a review copy of this 4-CD, 10" box set with a big book, postcards etc. Good album, but not sure I need three slightly different mixes of it. The 1974 live set included is worthwhile though, especially for a 10-minute jam on All Along The Watchtower featuring Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash, Isaac Guillory and three-quarters of the band Home.

Nick Pilgrim- Carnival. Highly recommended self-released album from this Brighton singer-songwriter. Hushed, spooky, intelligent. Find it on Bandcamp.

The Soundcarriers- Through Other Reflections. This band just keep getting better.

V/A- As I Roved Out: A Story of Celtic Rock. Questionable tracklisting in terms of representing the genre (what, no Horslips?) but as a listening experience, very enjoyable.

Plus, this week's charity shop buys:

Neil Young- Tuscaloosa
Neil Young- Songs for Judy
Richard Thompson- Mirror Blue

Unsung Forum Index