Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2641 posts

Edited Aug 11, 2024, 09:09
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 August 2024 CE
Aug 11, 2024, 09:08
I fight with the handle of my little brown broom:

Saxon ‘Lionheart’ - so I like ‘em: so what? Saxon rock;

Pip Pyle’s Bash! ‘Belle Illusion’ - excellent late outing by Pip’s last combo. Essential listening for Canterbury heads;

Eels ‘The Cautionary Tales Of Mark Oliver Everett’ - E’s self confessional album. As are all his others. Good, I say;

Eels ‘Wonderful, Glorious’ - a little more uptempo than the above, but just as beautifully neurotic;

Led Zeppelin ‘Presence’ - their heaviest and funkiest album. Kicks my ass harder than any of their others;

Deep Purple ‘+1’ - still digging this new album with an energy belying the age of its creators;

Gruff Rhys ‘Sadness Sets Me Free’ - already my album of the year, and likely to stay that way unless something perfect is waiting in the wings. This dude should be a megastar. But then, I said the same thing about the Drude forty years ago;

Family ‘In My Own Time’ - one of the catchiest rock 45s ever, despite an extremely uncommercial Chappo opening vocal that could wake the dead;

Lew Lewis ‘Boogie On The Street’/‘Caravan Man’ - no greater pub rock 45 exists than this 48 year old gem, soaked in reverb and the sweat of its one-off inspiration. Remember dear Lew, the Canvey legends backing him, and the nascent Stiff label, this way;

Eloy ‘Silent Cries And Empty Echoes’ - despite Frank Bornemann’s iffy lyrics and enunciation (well, English isn’t his mother tongue) and obvious musical influences, I rather dig Eloy. This excellently produced 1979 album is one of their best. Camel and 70s Floyd fans will dig;

David Bowie ‘Rock and Roll Star’ - still on heavy rotation chez moi. “The Spiders were the greatest English rock band ever”. Discuss. Nah, don’t bother, cos I know I’m right;

Kiss ‘Love Gun’ - tacky and fabulous;

Robert Wyatt ‘Rock Bottom’ - Perfection. No further comment, nor any other music, necessary. That this hasn’t had a half century deluxe edition is an unforgivable injustice. The record industry sucks;

Elton Dean ‘Just Us’ - pretty much a Soft Machine album in all but name. Maybe ‘Fourth and a Half’ would be a more apposite title, because that’s how it sounds to me;

Herbie Hancock ‘Man-Child’ - Herbie’s Seventies jazz funk experiments like this have dated far less than his Eighties electro stuff. This has soul; ‘Rockit’ definitely doesn’t;

Lefty Frizzell ‘Life’s Like Poetry’ (selections) - no country artist - not even Hank - moves me like Lefty. His voice epitomised all that was fresh and original about the country scene of the fifties. And his records still offer real entertainment;

Apostel: String Quartet no.1 (LaSalle Quartet) - proof that serialism can be lyrical and enjoyable;

Haydn: String Quartets, Op.50 nos.5 & 6 (Tokyo Quartet) - long unavailable early outing by the Tokyos, where everything seems paced and pointed just right;

Schubert: Rosamunde Incidental Music (VPO/Rudolf Kempe) - Schubert at his most appealingly tuneful, especially in Kempe’s tender hands;

Sibelius: Four Legends, Op.22 (Philadelphia Orch/Eugene Ormandy) - a symphony in all but name, and up there with Sibelius’ best music IMHO. This is its finest recording;

Sibelius: Finlandia & Karelia Suite (Halle/Sir John Barbirolli) - another venerable old LP that still packs a punch;

Sibelius: Violin Concerto (Christian Ferras/BPO/Herbert von Karajan) - great version of this, tender and exciting by turn;

Bruckner: Symphony no.7 & Smetana: Vltava (VPO/Wilhelm Furtwaengler) - the greatest conductor ever in my humble opinion, whose greatness shines even through aged mono records like these. After Furtwaengler, other kapellmeisters sound tepid and predictable. They play the notes. Wilhelm played behind the notes;

Beethoven: Overture ‘Coriolan’, Op.62 - I played three very different recordings of this wonderfully dramatic overture and found unique elements in each. Antal Dorati in 1953 is tense and fleet, Herbert von Karajan in 1966 moody and reflective, and - best of all - Wilhelm Furtwaengler in 1943 dark yet determined to the very end. That all three conductors were playing exactly the same music showed their unique art and talents;

Strauss: Salome (VSO/Rudolf Moralt) - this 1952 set was the first complete studio set of Strauss’ first great opera, bringing out all of its macabre, gory glory. Great to heart it again even if it gave me the heebie-jeebies so close to bedtime!

Can’t you see them?

Take care out there, my friends

Dave x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6262 posts

Aug 11, 2024, 10:52
Hey folks,

Repeat players this week:

Bo Diddley - Diddley Daddy: The Collection [Disc 1, 1955-1959]. Thought it was time to get a proper Bo Diddley set, rather than a handful of songs on compilations. This is obviously essential, primal stuff, with an influential reach that defies belief.

Martina Topley Bird - The Blue God. I bought the singles off this when they came out bac in 2008, but never got the album until finding it in a charity shop a few weeks back. Glad I did, it's classy, superior pop music, soulful vocals, underpinned on a few tracks with a nice organ sound that sounds like something demo'd in Coventry in 1980.

V/A - MMM050. It's not often that label compilations are all killer, but this is great, not a single track I don't like. The 50th release on the now-defunct Make Mine Music label from 2008, I was drawn to it by the presence of epic45 and Piano Magic, as well as couple of groups I have a passing knowledge of (Avrocar, Portal, Yellow 6), but the whole thing is great.

Otherwise:

Biting Tongues - Love Out CDS

Ride - Carnival Of Light
Ride - Tarantula

Cross Record - Wabi-Sabi
Karl Hyde & Matthew Herbert - Fatherland
Hannah Peel - Mary Casio: Journey to Cassiopeia
PWEI - Def Comms 86-18

Robin Guthrie - Riviera EP
Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan - People & Industry
Urthona - Forever People
flashbackcaruso
1087 posts

Edited Aug 11, 2024, 17:41
Aug 11, 2024, 17:40
Jan & Dean - Ride The Wild Surf
Jan & Dean - The Little Old Lady From Pasadena
Jan & Dean - Command Performance
Jan & Dean - Pop Symphony No.1
Jan & Dean - Folk'n'Roll
Jan & Dean - Meet Batman

The Beach Boys - Today!
The Beach Boys - Summer Days (& Summer Nights!!)
The Beach Boys - Party!
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
The Beach Boys - Smile

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge

The Coral - The Coral

Lilys - Better Can't Make Your Life Better
Lilys - The 3-Way

Elton John - Friends

V/A - Kubrick's Music: Selections From The Films Of Stanley Kubrick

The Monkees - Justus
The Monkees - Good Times
The Monkees - Live: The Mike & Micky Show

The Incredible String Band - U
The Incredible String Band - Be Glad For The Song Has Ne Ending

Paddy Kingsland - The Changes
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1720 posts

Aug 11, 2024, 17:48
Jack Frost- S/T. 1990 collaboration between The GoBetweens' Grant McLennan and The Church's Steve Kilbey that still holds up.

Dead Raven Choir- My Firstborn Will Surely Be Blind. Heavy Polish doom-folk including covers of Fairport and Townes Van Zandt. A bit trying once the novelty wears off actually.

Al Stewart- Past, Present And Future: 50th Anniversary Edition. Got a review copy of this 4-CD, 10" box set with a big book, postcards etc. Good album, but not sure I need three slightly different mixes of it. The 1974 live set included is worthwhile though, especially for a 10-minute jam on All Along The Watchtower featuring Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash, Isaac Guillory and three-quarters of the band Home.

Nick Pilgrim- Carnival. Highly recommended self-released album from this Brighton singer-songwriter. Hushed, spooky, intelligent. Find it on Bandcamp.

The Soundcarriers- Through Other Reflections. This band just keep getting better.

V/A- As I Roved Out: A Story of Celtic Rock. Questionable tracklisting in terms of representing the genre (what, no Horslips?) but as a listening experience, very enjoyable.

Plus, this week's charity shop buys:

Neil Young- Tuscaloosa
Neil Young- Songs for Judy
Richard Thompson- Mirror Blue
keith a
9596 posts

Aug 12, 2024, 14:55
Afternoon. A few weeks worth here...

The Beginning Of Doves – Marc Bolan

Turn The Car Around – Gaz Coombs

Sea Of Mirrors – The Coral

The Tenant – Death & Vanilla
Flicker - Death & Vanilla

Automatic - JAMC

Imagine – John Lennon

Sonancy – Loop

The Correct Use Of Soap - Magazine

The Alias Sessions – Murcof

Shrink – The Notwist

Very – Pet Shop Boys

Insurrection – Alan Vega

Motown Chartbusters Vol 4 – V/A
Monganaut
Monganaut
2425 posts

Aug 12, 2024, 15:45
keith a wrote:

I wasn't aware of this, cheers for the HU. Having a listen over on BC.
Picked up the cassette of Vampyr years ago, but this is more in keeping with my tastes fer sure. Good stuff!
keith a
9596 posts

Aug 12, 2024, 18:40
Monganaut wrote:
keith a wrote:

I wasn't aware of this, cheers for the HU. Having a listen over on BC.
Picked up the cassette of Vampyr years ago, but this is more in keeping with my tastes fer sure. Good stuff!

Yeah, good isn't it. I'd pretty much neglected it TBH but I had the download on my phone and played it on my hols. Much better than I remember - I ended up playing Free Design Kung-Fu a few times!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2425 posts

Aug 12, 2024, 19:21
'Free Design Kung-Fu'.

Ha, sounds like Sterelab at the Olympics
keith a
9596 posts

Aug 12, 2024, 21:27
Monganaut wrote: