Lancashire »
Possible collapsed Round Barrow

6 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
726 posts

Possible collapsed Round Barrow
Sep 12, 2024, 15:41
Just been to a suspicious-looking hillock at Butler's Delf further along the same road as that which passes by the Revidge Barrow (now destroyed) where a Bronze Age Beaker cremation burial was unearthed (now in Blackburn Museum).

The 'hillock' has a group of several large shaped stones at one end which looks like a collapsed entrance and is located in a spot surrounded by a visible panorama of hills including Pendle Hill & Longridge Fell as well as the Fylde Coast (including Blackpool Tower!) distantly visible to the west.

Does anyone know anything about this site?

The 'hillock' itself is on the OS map but there's no other detail or classification as a monument or historic site of a previous building. Took several pics but don't know where to upload them!

I've submitted the site for perusal but until it's approved I don't suppose there's anywhere for these pics to go (unless I append them to the Revidge site) The road it's located on is a continuation of Revidge Road which it's been established was once a Bronze Age trade route, so...

Map reference: 53.746205, -2.533078

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index