Shap!

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3082 posts

Edited Sep 11, 2024, 11:23
Shap!
Sep 11, 2024, 11:22
Have just come across a fascinating new vid on YT: ‘Britain’s LOST Prehistoric Wonder of the World - Shap’s Megalithic Avenue’. On TMA the most recent detailed sniffing of the area seems to have been done by Fitzcoraldo way back in 2007 :(
carol27
726 posts

Re: Shap!
Sep 12, 2024, 15:24
Just watched it myself - excellent stuff! Been to Gunnerkeld which is mentioned as part of the megalithic complex.
ironstone
64 posts

Sep 13, 2024, 12:32
Fascinating indeed but also sad to think what has been lost, particularly in such a relatively remote area where one might have expected more to have survived.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
995 posts

Sep 13, 2024, 16:44
Shap has always fascinated me. There are LOADS of toppled megaliths lying between the Northbound/ Southbound lanes of the M6 from Gunnerkeld right down to the Services at Tebay. Plus plenty more on either side. Looks like some carnage occurred,
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ygGwFzpgDoc4brDX7
Last time (and the first time) I stopped at Gunnerkeld was 13 years ago this month en-route back from North Wales. Always loved seeing Gunnerkeld from Citylink buses to London or from my various cars' windows as I drove by over the decades.

I watched that video a few days ago. I have always been awaiting a "proper" fully-funded, yop-of-the-line C4, BBC or somesuch documentary. But none has ever appeared. Must be too busy with their diversity work or sumhin.
juamei
juamei
2016 posts

Sep 17, 2024, 08:00
I walked it end to end about two years ago. Beautiful landscape and cracking stones.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index