12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 April 2024 CE
Apr 28, 2024, 09:16
See the show:

Bob Dylan ‘Knocked Out Loaded’ - a valid contender for Bob’s worst album, it’s only decent song (‘Brownsville Girl’) being hampered by the dire 80s sound that infects the whole shebang. Ugh;

The Allman Brothers Band S/T - Dickey Betts RIP;

The Moody Blues ‘In Search Of The Lost Chord’ - Mike Pinder RIP;

Caravan S/T - Jimmy Hastings RIP (jeez, what a week);

Gong ‘You’ - I watched a Sea of Tranquility show the other night which rightly lauded the four epic tracks on this album but dissed the sillier ones. After half a century of digging this, I respectfully disagree. It’s the wheat AND the chaff that makes ‘You’ immense;

Deep Purple ‘Burn’ - like ‘You’, 50 years young, and sounding as fresh as a daisy;

Procol Harum ‘Exotic Birds and Fruit’ - as does this. Did any album ever have a more arresting opener than ‘Nothing But The Truth’? And Benny and Bjorn MUST have heard ‘Beyond the Pale’ before they wrote ‘Head Over Heels’;

Genesis ‘A Trick Of The Tail’ - in purely musical terms, nearly their best post-Gabriel album, even if it peters out a bit on Side Two. In which case ‘And Then There Were Three’ is superior. But that doesn’t have Hackett on it. Oh, I divvent soddin’ knaa;

Brian Eno ‘Apollo’ - typically ethereal Eno, and that’s not meant to sound sniffy. In fact, I wish most of these pieces lasted much longer;

Super Furry Animals ‘Zoom!’ - all the SFA I ever really need over two cheap, well-packed CDs. Such fun. If I prefer my Gruff solo it’s only because his songwriting gets better with age;

Rolling Stones ‘Sticky Fingers’ - well, because it just… IS;

Emerson, Lake & Palmer ‘Brain Salad Surgery’ - I care not a shit how uncool ELP were, most of this LP was, and is, the dog’s bollocks. If there was ever a more definitive, or greater, prog epic than ‘Karn Evil 9’ I’d love to hear it. I’ve owned this wondrous (and now very crackly) record since my thirteenth birthday and I’ll not be parted with it. Well not in this life anyway;

Mike Oldfield ‘Incantations’ - Part 3 only, after Stephen Reid called it out for Oldfield’s solo on Sea of Tranquility. He’s right: this is some serious axeman shit. But then, I just read Seth's new post. Oh jeez;

Jack DeJohnette ‘Pictures’ - that rare thing, a drumming solo album that doesn’t bore. That DeJohnette can play keyboards more than competently certainly helps, as does John Abercrombie on a few tracks;

Jan Garbarek ‘Paths/Prints’ - from the period when Garbarek recorded an album every year, each more meditative than the last. Chill out music at its best;

Don Cherry ‘Old and New Dreams’ - my third ECM spin of the week is the liveliest, even when drenched in that diaphanous mist that characterises much of the label’s output. You either love it or hate it. I know what side I’m on;

Beethoven: Symphony no.3 (Paris Conservatoire/Carl Schuricht) - another of those ancient MFP LPs that forged my love of music as a wean. That’s me about to play one in the photo;

Schubert: Rosamunde Ov/Strauss: Death & Transfiguration/Shostakovich: Symphony no.5 (all Halle/Sir John Barbirolli) - proof that great music making existed in Manchester long before the Buzzcocks;

Holst: The Planets (Toronto SO/Sir Andrew Davis) - played in tribute to Davis who sadly passed last weekend. Uranus is particularly powerful here (no jests please).

Is it on, Tommy?

Have a great week

Dave x

Unsung Forum Index